What does the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) System do?
Variable Valve Timing (VVT) systems are designed to reduce emissions and maximize engine performance and fuel economy. Variable Valve Timing (VVT) systems utilize oil pressurized solenoids and camshaft phasing sprockets to change the timing of a valve lift event throughout the engine RPM range.
Why would the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) System fail?
Every Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system is slightly different, but there are general guidelines to follow to ensure proper performance: Regularly service the engine oil and filter and use the manufacturer’s required engine oil type. When oil change intervals are extended beyond the recommended manufacturer’s guidelines, engine oil sludge can clog critical oil passageways and create failure prone conditions. Material or electrical malfunctions from regular usage can also contribute towards Variable Valve Timing (VVT) System failure.
How to determine if the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) System is malfunctioning?
The check engine light (CEL) will be activated when the powertrain control module (PCM) detects unordinary engine conditions. A poor performing or failed Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system will result in poor engine idle/stalling, increased engine noise and reduced power output. Engine codes can vary from year/make/model and can include the following:
Where are the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) System components located?
Inside the engine compartment the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) parts are found on or around the cylinder head block and timing chain/belt cover and may require the removal of electrical plugs and access to the engine camshaft timing system.
Advantages of using a NAPA OE Solutions Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Replacement Unit are:
- Complete control of the manufacturing process from componentry to finished product to ensure long-life.
- Engineered to meet or improve upon OE specifications which ensures optimal performance and installation.
- NAPA OE Solutions Variable Valve Timing (VVT) repair parts are backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Broad applications coverage for most vehicles equipped with VVT systems.
- Value added components such as O-rings, seals, and hardware are included for a wide range of vehicle applications.